Thursday, November 17, 2011

Keeping those you love close

Our lives are precarious.

Time moves quickly.

We try to control our lives but, oftentimes, our lives are beyond our control.

Try as we might to make to-do lists and organize our time, there are so many variables that can put a damper on what we envision our day and our lives to be.

And that is what has happened in our life.

My BIL's mother, Sunny, was diagnosed with leukemia on October 3rd.

Since then she's been surrounded by family -- her husband, her children, her grandchildren, and a multitude of other relatives.

Tomorrow, Sunny will be taken off life support.

It's been a long and difficult 6 1/2 weeks for my sister, my BIL, and his siblings. They are a close-knit clan. They all call each other every day. Just to talk.

Sunny has been a part of my life since I was 18 years old. She's always been there for special occasions. She's always been there with a quick smile and big laugh. We could always count on her to make some yummy dishes for potlucks -- pancit polabok was a favorite.

I remember when I was a bridesmaid for my BIL's sister's wedding. Sunny was elected to make our dresses. No pattern. She winged it. All of us in the wedding party looked awesome. She helped make it a beautiful day.

I know that my Mom will take Sunny's passing hard. The two of them were cohorts -- sidekicks -- our own version of Laverne and Shirley. When we'd have a family gathering, they'd be somewhere together chattering and laughing. Totally opposites that got along like peanut butter and jelly.

Sunny will be missed. Our family will not be the same. We'll get through this. But we'll never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment