Monday, June 13, 2011

Getting the train out of the station

Monday, Monday, Monday...

Mondays are always a very busy day. It doesn't matter what business niche you're in, Mondays always bring more snail mail, more email, and thus more work. It's always hard to get in the groove of work after the weekend. It's like a train pulling out of the station. Chug-chug-chug. Straining to get some motion going.

Today was no different than any other Monday. My to-do list was long right from the get-go.

I was working a way when a wrench got thrown into my day.

Around 9:30am, the brightness from my screen was no more. The lights above went black. The building went dark. Yes. Our electricity went out.

I sat for a moment and just listened. I half-expected for the lights to come right back on. But alas, that was not the case.
"I hope you all saved your work if you were in Word or Excel!"
I got some hot water from our dispenser while it was still hot so I could drink more tea. I got some cold water so I could drink it while it was still cold. I had no idea how long the building would be out. I sit about 10 feet away from a window, so I was still getting some light. I ended up looking through my mail stack sorting things out. Oh...so boring!

Thankfully, the lights went back on about an hour after they went out. Turns out that a large section where we're at had no power -- about 500 businesses were in the black. So we weren't the only ones who were greeted with an unexpected obstacle today.

Now were there any glitches to your day today?

No comments:

Post a Comment